At $99 with no monthly or annual fees, the new 4th Generation Tablo is the best value DVR for antenna TV. When paired with the proper Outdoor NextGen TV Antenna, Tablo gives you the ability to easily pause live TV and record the Broncos games, nightly news, daytime soaps, and anything else that comes in free via your antenna. While it might not be exactly like your old Cable & Satellite DVR, it does do some pretty great things. For only 1x $99 cost and no monthly rate ever, do not expect perfection… With Tablo and a properly installed outdoor HD Antenna, you can get 100+ HD live local networks and streaming channels for free, plus a free Grid TV Guide and DVR for antenna TV!
Other Tablo Benefits
- Easy to Use – If you can use Netflix, you can use Tablo. Tablo is added as an app in your streaming media player (Fire Stick). So only 1 remote for both Antenna and Streaming TV with no TV input changing.
- Grid TV Guide – Almost as important as scheduling series recordings and skipping commercials is an easy to navigate grid TV guide. Tablo gives you a 2 week Grid TV Guide and much more.
- WiFi Enabled – Tablo connects to your antenna and your network. This means that you can watch antenna channels on almost any newer Streaming Media Player, smart phone or tablet in the house without connecting additional wires. Its revolutionary and easy!
Why Tablo is the Best DVR for Antenna TV
We have tested every antenna connected device on the market and Tablo is the best device for recording shows and watching on any TV in the house. Here’s what you need to know about Tablo:
- Simple interface. One remote. No TV input changing
- Best integration with streaming devices and apps
- Easy setup (if you get our recommended hardware)
- Help center including live 800 # support
- Grid TV Guide & DVR
- No monthly or annual fees!
Discover the money saving joy of cord cutting without the pain of trial & error:
How the Tablo DVR Works with an Outdoor Antenna
The Tablo Network DVR works by connecting the coax from your HD antenna (read more about the best HD Antenna Installation) to stream live and recorded OTA free TV over your home’s Wi-Fi (read about the best Whole Home Wi-Fi) to newer internet connected devices in your home (streaming media players, smart phones, tablets, etc.).
Wiring and WiFi Diagram
The Tablo Streaming OTA DVR requires a live Antenna (outdoor recommended) coax connection and an internet connection (hardwired recommended). The Tablo make Antenna TV easy of use, integrating the Tablo app into your streaming media player for 1 User Interface and 1 remote control with no TV input changing! From our experience if you are going for the best performance we suggest using a newer WiFi 6 Fire TV 4K on all TVs, although you can download the Tablo app on most internet connected devices.
Most people use a lot of different streaming apps and stream on multiple TVs in addition to free OTA. Where the Tablo box can really shine is behind the scenes. On the end user device, you simply install the Tablo app on your device (Fire TV, Roku, etc.). A single Tablo OTA Network Streaming DVR pushes free OTA Antenna TV (live and recorded) to all your streaming devices via the Tablo app! For those not wanting to use an Amazon Fire TV device, you can access the Tablo app on some Smart TVs, Roku, Apple TV (coming soon), Google Chromecast, etc. Learn more about Tablo at tablotv.comhttps://www.tablotv.com/
Stop Renting TV Equipment.
Compare Tablo DVR to Amazon Recast DVR.
In general the Tablo DVR is the best replacement for the Amazon Recast DVR for Antenna TV channels. Sadly Amazon decided to stop making the Amazon Recast a few years ago. The Tablo and Amazon Recast are very similar in that they are both network connected DVRs – see details above. They also both offer a Grid TV Guide, DVR and easy to use integration for free OTA antenna channels and both have no monthly or annual rate. Here are some of the main differences:
- The Tablo will play live TV with better picture quality
- Amazon Recast only worked with Amazon Fire TV, the Tablo has apps for Fire TV, Roku, Google TV, Android, Apple, etc.
- The Tablo has a stand alone App (like Netflix), so is not integrated into the Amazon Fire TV Guide and UI directly.
StreamWise Solutions Installs Tablos, Antennas, & WiFi
For some, network DVRs, Wi-Fi and cord-cutting is just too technical and over whelming. StreamWise Solutions takes the fear and uncertainty out of cord-cutting. We ensure you are saving the most money every month on TV & Internet and do it right the first time.
Since everyone is different and 90% of the Cord Cutting streaming options and hardware are confusing and do not work well. Our StreamWise Solutions experts offer a free whole-home TV and Wi-Fi consultation to discuss what cord-cutting alternatives are best for you. We ensure your Antenna, Network DVR, Wi-Fi and Internet are all working properly, plus provide personalized training so that you are ready on day one!
Alternative ATSC 3.0 4K TV tuner & network DVR option
ATSC 3.0 NextGen TV is the new standard for 4K OTA – most TVs and DVRs are not ATSC 3.0 NextGen ready. The HDHomeRun 3.0 solves this problem and is a great option if you are techy. While the setup can be a challenge and the UI isnt the best, watching live TV is top quality. Here is all of the hardware you need to get to set it up right:
- HDHomeRun 4K ATSC 3.0 NextGen TV tuner & DVR
- USB External Hard Drive (for DVR storage) – required for DVR
- Nvidia Shield (for DVR server) – required for DVR
- Whole-home Wi-Fi 6 Mesh Network (faster & better Wi-Fi coverage) – highly recommended
- Amazon Fire TV 4K w/ WiFi 6 – (best streaming device for all TVs) – highly recommended