DirecTV FOX Blackout 2022 – View Alternatives
Updated Dec. 4, 2022: the DirecTV FOX Blackout of 2022 has been averted. Both parties agreed to a multi-year renewal. Previously, various reports reports a flurry of discussions, but without contract renewal. Just prior to a huge day for college & professional sports, an extension emerged – no blackout. Later that day, the announcement was made of a multi-year renewal. This is frustrating given that discussions have been happening for months. Without resolution , DirecTV, DirecTV STREAM, and U-Verse customers would no longer be able to watch FOX channels – FOX, FS1, FS2, BIG 10 Network and FOX Deportes.
What you need to know:
- Why the dispute between DirecTV and FOX Networks
- Impact on FIFA World Cup 2022, NFL, Big 10 Championship and others
- Best alternatives to watch FOX channels
Why is there a DirecTV FOX Blackout?
As with other blackouts involving DirecTV, it comes down to money and licensing terms. In an original statement from FOX, “Despite our best efforts for months, we regret that DIRECTV continues to demand unprecedented special treatment that represents a wholesale change to our long-standing relationship and is out of step with marketplace terms.” That statement has since been changed. Read full statement.
The layman’s realities:
1. Professional and college sports are increasingly expensive.
2. Giant cable/ satellite companies are losing millions of subscribers each quarter.
3. There are lots of cost-savings alternatives that are better for consumers.
The DirecTV FOX Blackout 2022 Impacts
This blackout of FOX on DirecTV could have had significant impacts at a critical time, all with major sports. The NFL, FIFA World Cup 2022, Big 10 College Football Championship were all susceptible to this blackout. And, other sports and news would have been impacted as a result of this blackout.
- NFL. Most of Colorado will be watching Denver Broncos on CBS. However, multiple other NFL on FOX games would have been blacked-out affecting local Coloradoans. See the full NFL Broadcast Schedule for week 13.
- FIFA World Cup. Most wanted to watch the U.S. take on The Netherlands at 8:00am MST Saturday (12/3/2022) morning. The game was also broadcast on FOX for FREE. Read best way to watch the FIFA World Cup.
- The Big 10 Championship. Arguably the game of the week, the Purdue Boilermakers (8-4) was taking on rival Michigan Wolverines (12-0). Televised at 6:00pm MST Saturday on FOX (also for FREE), this is a can’t miss for NCAA College Football fans.
Save Your Sanity
Best Alternatives to Watch FOX, FOX Sports, FS1, FS2, BIG10 and FOX Deportes
on Live TV FREE
FOX (KDVR in Denver) is broadcast Live TV over-the-air. Thus, anyone with a properly configured HD Antenna can watch FOX for FREE forever. Learn more about whole-home HD Antennas and respective DVRs for Live TV.
Stream FOX on
YouTube TV provides one of the best viewing experiences for anyone ready to switch from cable/ satellite. So, FOX, FS1, FS2 and FOX News can be streamed in HD and with an unlimited DVR for just $65/ month. Subscribe to YouTube TV.
Stream FOX on
Fubo TV has emerged as an ideal streaming provider for sports lovers. With the addition of Altitude Sports, Fubo Pro as low as $82/ month covers FOX channels plus Altitude Sports. By smart TV or Streaming Media Player, subscribe to Fubo TV.
FOX, FS1, FS2 and FOX Deportes can be watched on HULU Live TV for as low as $75/ month or as low as $70/ month without FOX Deportes. However, avoid buffering by optimizing your whole-home Wi-Fi first. Then, subscribe to Hulu Live TV.